- Be a high school senior in Hidalgo, Starr or Cameron County graduating in the spring
- Be a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident with a Social Security Number. Permanent residents must have lived in Hidalgo, Starr or Cameron County for five consecutive years
- Be enrolled as a full-time student for four academic years at a U.S. accredited college or university
- Have a GPA of at least 80/100 or 2.5/4.0 and/or rank in the top 30% of their graduating high school class
- Have met the minimum SAT or ACT score requirements for the student’s college or university of choice – so long as you take the SAT/ACT
Students must be eligible for Pell Grant – FAFSA will tell you!
Scholarship Paperwork – online:
- Complete the online application.
- Complete the online essay talking about the following this can be your outline.
- Your name, where you go to school, and what program you are in.
- Your academic and career goals.
- Why is it important to obtain a college education (this can be tied in to number 2)
- Any hardships you have faced and how you are stronger from it / what did you learn from it.
- Closing statement
Scholarship Paperwork – offline – this is sent to me:
- Official Transcript
- Copy of your ACT/SAT Scores
- Copy of your income tax return used to file your FAFSA
- Copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR)
- College Financial Aid Award Letter or Acceptance Letter
- Two letters of recommendation from two different individuals.
DEADLINE: MARCH 28TH – yes, I know the website states April 1st, but there is a lot of paperwork for this scholarship! You must submit the paperwork with Mr. Lopez
Scholarship Info: VAMOS Scholarship Info
Scholarship Application: VAMOS Scholarship Application