DEADLINE: March 5th, 2020 5pm.
WHO SELECTS THE PARTICIPANTS? MCALLEN AMERICAN LEGION
WHERE IS THE APPLICATION? Girls State Application
HOW MUCH IS THE PROGRAM? Fully funded!
WHO DO I TURN MY APPLICATION INTO? MR. LOPEZ!
TO BE ELIGIBLE, YOUNG WOMEN MUST:
- Be a legal inhabitant of the United States. Participants must provide a copy of their U.S. birth certificate or their U.S. government-issued documentation verifying they are in the United States legally, e.g. green card or visa.
- Have completed their junior year in high school and have at least one more semester remaining before graduation.
- Be keenly interested in government and current events.
- Have high moral character.
- Show strong leadership abilities.
- Demonstrate above-average scholastic achievement.
WHAT IS ALA GIRLS STATE?
The American Legion Auxiliary’s marquee Girls State program, first presented in 1937, is one of the most respected and coveted experiential learning programs presented in the United States.
The program epitomizes the ALA’s mission to honor those who have brought us our freedom through our enduring commitment to develop young women as future leaders grounded in patriotism and Americanism. The young women become knowledgeable of the democratic process and how our republic form of government works at the state and national levels.
Each summer, approximately 16,000 young women participate in weeklong ALA Girls State programs across the nation. Every American Legion Auxiliary Girls State program operates with the same patriotic values through a nonpartisan curriculum where students assume the roles of government leaders, campaigning in mock parties (often called “Federalists” and “Nationalists”) to become mayors and county and state officials of their ALA Girls State. The program is a weeklong immersive learning experience, often held on a college campus where girls live in “cities” within a dormitory-like setting. The learning, experience, memories, and friendships last a lifetime.