2020 Alonzo Cantu Entrepreneurship Camp Details
Students will be able to reflect on their personal and professional goals in order to identify their true passion for entrepreneurship.
Students will be given a product and challenged to be as creative as possible, while maintaining an organized development cycle and cash flow to support the invention. Products will be presented in a “Shark Tank” setting with judges who will determine the winning presentation.
Graduates from the camp will become preferred applicants to WCE, receive letters of recommendation for their future applications, and become potential recipients of the Alonzo Cantu Scholarship at the University of Houston.
1) One-page essay “Why do you want to be an Entrepreneur?” What skill sets do you have that make you stand out?
- Suggested outline from Mr. Lopez:
- Discuss the moment you had when you realized that you were interested in pursuing a career in business/entrepreneurship. Was it an original idea you thought of and created? Was it a time when your plan failed, but that sparked an interest in the field? Do you have family in this industry? Was it an economics class that had a strong lesson that you remember?
- As an IB student, look at the IB learner profile and pick three attributes that best reflect who you are – this will help answer the question, what makes you stand out? Think about what makes an entrepreneur successful: communication skills, problem solving skills, collaboration skills, creativity skills, being able to fail and bounce back!
- Discuss why the field of entrepreneurship is of value – why is this field important? Then tie in the fact that you are a good fit not only for the field of entrepreneurship, but also this camp as it will build your perspective regarding business.
2) Letter of Recommendation
- Ask your teacher to email the letter to you and then upload it on your application portal.
- If your teacher does not want to send it to you, then have the teacher email Mr. Lopez, and we can log on into your account and upload the letter!
3) Two Minute Video “Who are you?” Tell us a little bit about yourself. Who are you, what are your hobbies, what’s your story? We want to know what makes you unique!
- Instructions: URL link to your “Who are you?” YouTube Video. Please title it, “Alonzo Cantu Entrepreneurship Camp Application Video Class of 2020 *your name here*” & make sure the video is set to public.
IMPORTANT DATES & DEADLINES
BEGIN ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS: MONDAY, MARCH 2, 2020 at 12:00 pm (noon)
PREFERRED APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, MAY 15, 2020 at 12:00 pm (noon)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MONDAY, JUNE 1, 2020 at 12:00 pm (noon)
NOTICE OF DECISION: FRIDAY, JUNE 5, 2020 at 12:00 pm (noon)
PROGRAM DATE: SATURDAY JUNE 13, 2020 at Renaissance Hospital Event Center